Student FAQ

Referrals to the Office of Student Conduct

I received a student conduct referral, what should I do now?

Student conduct referrals are issued to students when a University Police Officer, or other community member, believes that student may have violated the Code of Student Conduct. As it indicates on the bottom of the referral form, the student must contact the Office of Student Conduct at 919.515.2963 within the next two business days to schedule an appointment.

What happens at the appointment?

For non-academic charges, the first thing that will happen is that you will have a conversation with one of the staff in the Office of Student Conduct or staff from University Housing. In this initial meeting you will have an opportunity to share your side of the story and ask questions about the process. During this initial meeting, a decision will be made as to what process will be used to resolve the charges.

For cases of alleged academic misconduct, the first contact will generally be with the faculty member of the class in question. That faculty member will facilitate a conversation and present you with a series of options: 1) accept responsibility and sign a form accepting sanctions; 2) deny responsibility and utilize the hearing process; or, 3) delay the decision until the student has had an opportunity to talk to the staff in the Office of Student Conduct to better understand their rights and options.

How do I prepare for my meeting?

There are different types of conduct review processes, but the preparation is similar. Students are expected to be sincere and to tell the truth. An organized and sequential telling of the story and presenting of evidence or information is most helpful. Disciplinary Conferences are more informal by definition and generally do not require a formal presentation. Typically, a focused and honest conversation is sufficient to resolve these types of cases. The same is true for students who choose to accept responsibility and sanctions for a violation through a Mutual Agreement.

Resolution through a Conduct Board or Administrative Hearing is a more formal process. It is expected that students participating in either of these processes make a coherent presentation. This includes the presentation of any witnesses or documents required for a full understanding of the facts of the case. Students who choose to participate in a Conduct Board Hearing are provided a Student Assistant to help organize materials and instruct the student regarding procedures that will be used during the hearing. The Student Assistant does not represent the student they are working with. The student is expected to present their own case. Students who choose to participate in an Administrative Hearing will work with a staff member from the Office of Student Conduct to help them prepare for their hearing.

What are my rights in the conduct process?

Your rights and responsibilities are outlined in Section 3 of the Student Discipline Procedures.

Can my attorney represent me?

Yes. Attorneys may play a role in the process, but the extent to which an attorney may represent you depends on the nature of the allegations. In cases of alleged academic misconduct, for example, formal legal representation is not permitted. Legal representation is only permitted in certain cases involving allegations of non-academic misconduct. For a more detailed explanation of the circumstances when an attorney may represent you, please review section 6 of the Student Discipline Procedures. You may also contact the Office of Student Conduct with additional questions.

I received a criminal citation for Wake County Court. Why do I have a student conduct referral too?

There are some behaviors that could be a violation of the law as well as a violation of University Policy. Receipt of a Student Conduct Referral is an indication that the alleged behavior may have some type of connection with the University, and therefore, needs to be reviewed by staff in the Office of Student Conduct.

My professor has accused me of academic misconduct. What should I do?

First, tell the truth. If you did what the Professor has alleged, then be candid and truthful. You still have an opportunity to prove to the faculty member that you have some integrity. If this is the case, then you will have a conversation regarding appropriate sanctions for this behavior.

If you did not commit academic misconduct, then tell the faculty member that you did not commit academic misconduct. Never say that you did commit an act simply because that looks like the easiest way to resolve the matter. The faculty member will use a form distributed by the Office of Student Conduct, called the Report of an Academic Integrity Violation (RAIV). There is a section on the second page of the form that talks specifically about student rights. Please do not sign the form if you do not understand your rights or the implications of signing the form.

How do I appeal a decision and/or sanction?

Students who choose to accept responsibility and sanctions for a violation through the Report of Academic Integrity Violation (RAIV) or Mutual Agreement waive their right to appeal those decisions. Other resolutions have one level of appeal as described in the Student Discipline Procedures. For further information regarding your appeal rights and to submit an appeal, click here.

I can’t finish my sanctions by the deadline. What should I do?

Contact the Office of Student Conduct or the University Housing staff member who imposed the sanction immediately. There are some circumstances where a student might qualify for an extension. That decision must be made by the office or the person with the authority to do so. Extensions are not granted by persons who supervise community service work or by staff who do not have specific authority to do so.

Can I get a copy of my file?

Yes. Contact a staff member in the Office of Student Conduct to get this information. In some situations students will be expected to pay for the copying costs associated with the file.

Other Questions

Why do I have a hold on my records?

There are many reasons why the Office of Student Conduct may place a hold on a student record. Among these is: the student has not contacted this or another office to resolve outstanding charges; the student was instructed to get additional information or materials to this office and has not complied; the student has not completed their sanction by the due date for that case; the student may currently be either suspended or expelled; the student may be under Interim Suspension.

Will my parents find out about this?

That depends. In general, parents of a student less than 21 years of age will be notified of a second offence of the alcohol policy and any violation of the drug policy. First offences of the alcohol policy may result in notification as well, depending on any aggravating circumstances of the incident. Students may choose to sign a release giving permission for staff in the Office of Student Conduct to have contact with their parents. This is often helpful when students are facing the possibility of suspension or expulsion from the University and are trying to make plans for their immediate future. Most often it is the student who shares this information with their parents. This is a position that we actively encourage. Parental support is a key ingredient in a student’s long term success, no matter what the disciplinary outcome.

Will this have an effect on my financial aid or scholarship?

It is possible that disciplinary procedures could ultimately have an effect on either financial aid or scholarships. In order for students to qualify for financial aid, students must be enrolled and making specific academic progress in a degree seeking program. Students who are suspended or expelled are not making any academic progress at that time, which may impact their financial aid. Many scholarship agencies have expectations regarding the behavior of their recipients. Athletic scholarships and academic achievement scholarships could both be affected by disciplinary action. If you are receiving financial aid or are on scholarship, and you have disciplinary action pending, it is important for you to talk with the appropriate representative of the office dispersing the funds.

How does a disciplinary file effect my chances for graduate school or professional school?

This depends on the materials in the student’s file and the educational plans of the student. In general, the more serious the charges and events in the file, and the more intrusive the scrutiny of the graduate program—medical or law schools for example—then the more likely there will be some post-undergraduate effect from the incident(s). Staff in the Office of Student Conduct have sufficient experience to review your file and describe the possible effects, as well as any opportunities you might have to mitigate those effects.

How does a disciplinary file effect other job and leadership opportunities on campus?

Different opportunities have different expectations and restrictions. There are some experiences, such as becoming a Residence Hall Staff Member, which prohibit the student from having any active sanction, such as Disciplinary Probation. In addition, there are prohibitions preventing a student under an active sanction from running for an elected student government position. Some programs, like Study Abroad and University Housing, ask students to submit to a records check as part of the application process. Having a disciplinary record does not automatically disqualify a student from all activities or opportunities, but does impact some experiences. It is important to check with the office or program coordinator for the specific opportunity, before making a commitment.

Will this be reported on my transcript?

That depends. Notations of disciplinary action will be made on the transcript whenever a student is suspended or expelled, as outlined in Section 8.3 of the Student Discipline Procedures.

How do I get the suspension notation lifted from my transcript?

After the period of suspension has passed, the student may petition for the removal of the transcript notation. Suspension notations may be removed through a petition to the Provost.

Factors to be considered in reviewing petitions for notation removal after suspension include: The present demeanor of the student; the student’s conduct subsequent to the violation; and, the nature of the violation, including the issue of premeditation and the severity of any resulting damage, injury, or harm.

Can I attend other schools while I am suspended or expelled from NC State?

Each school within the UNC system will make its own determination about whether a student suspended for disciplinary reasons is eligible for enrollment. Students who have been expelled are ineligible to attend any UNC system school. Private schools and public schools outside the state of North Carolina may have different entrance requirements. Students should contact the specific school in question to review their policies and practices.